We hope your child(ren) read books over the summer because it’s time to take Scholastic Reading Counts (SRC) quizzes!
SRC is a computer based reading assessment program that assesses reading comprehension through quiz of ten questions that can only be taken at school. There are over 50,000 SRC quizzes available. Many of these titles can be found in our school library and the public library. For more information on how to find books with SRC quizzes click here or visit: http://src.scholastic.com/bookexpert//default.asp?UID=688D5BE26732460BBE3816DF498FD134&subt=0&Test=NA
The purpose of Reading Counts is to provide students with an opportunity to:
• Select their own books and instill a love of reading.
• Set, track, and accomplish goals.
• Receive recognition for accomplishing goals.
Guidelines and Procedures for Scholastic Reading Counts:
• All students will be rewarded equally and held to the same standards throughout their years at AHES.
• Awards and points carry over every year until the student leaves AHES.
• Students must take all tests independently. Parents are not allowed to help.
• Each book is assigned a point value by Scholastic.
• Students must answer 7 answers out of 10 questions correctly to pass a quiz.
• If students do not pass a quiz, they may retake a quiz up to 3 times, but they must wait 24 hours between attempts. After three tries, they may no longer access that quiz.
• If lanyards or medals are lost, students can purchase replacements from the PTA. Bookmarks and pencils will not be replaced.
Testing Times for Students:
• During Computer Lab visits.
• During Library visits.
• During recess.
• Before school on Wednesdays, from 7:30-8:00, in the Computer Lab.
• After school on Wednesdays, from 12:20-12:45, in the Computer Lab.
• Awards will be given on a monthly basis, usually the first week of the month.
• Award winners’ names will be posted in the Library.
• Every Wednesday is “Lanyard Day”! Students are encouraged to wear their lanyards on Wednesday to earn PAWS tickets.
• Awards will be given based on the number of points students earn:
o Successfully complete one quiz: Reading Counts Wrist Band
o 10 Points: Reading Counts Book Mark
o 20 Points: Reading Counts Pencil
o 30 Points: Lanyard + 30 Points Medal
o 50 Points: 50 Points Medal
o 100 Points: 100 Point Medal
o 200 Points: 200 Point Medal
o 350 Points: 350 Point Medal + a trip to Principal’s and Librarian’s Treasure Chests
o 500 Points: Bronze – 500 Point Medal + 5 Merit Tickets + Pizza Party at the end of the school year
o 750 Points: Silver – 750 Point Medal + 2 Gift Certificates for free game of bowling
o 1000 Points: Gold – 1000 Point Medal + 25 PAWS merit tickets + name on plaque in the library
o 1500 Points: 1500 point medal + 30 PAWS merit
o 2000 Points: 2000 point medal + 35 PAWS merit tickets
o 2500 Points: 2500 point medal + 40 PAWS merit tickets + Name on plaque in the library
If you have any questions about SRC you can talk to Mrs. Short, the librarian, at email@example.com , or contact Erin Lawrence, the Reading Counts Chairperson, at firstname.lastname@example.org.